When using Joomla as a corporate Intranet, integration with Active Directory significantly improves the user experience, as the user’s windows credentials can be used to log onto Joomla. This is commonly referred to as Single Sign On (SSO), where one account can be used on multiple systems. To make this experience even better, we can implement Single Sign In (SSI), where the windows username and password are automatically passed to the browser and the user is logged in automatically.
The active directory integration is achieved with a free extensions provided by JMapMyLDAP. You can download the plugins from their website.
http://shmanic.com/tools/jmapmyldap/download.htm
The documentation is located at:
http://shmanic.com/tools/jmapmyldap/guide.htm#configuser
For this example, I’m going to demonstrate how to set up SSO and SSI on a Joomla 3.1.1 site.

In May 2013, Peter Bui presented at the Sydney Joomla User Group on SEO, and talked about the benefits of improving your Google Author Rank.

Peter also talked about something called microdata, which I’d never heard of and wanted to know more about. Essentially microdata is a new way of tagging content which allows search engines and mobile devices show more relevant information. I watched Ruth Cheesley presentation at J and Beyond which was interesting and well worth a watch.

So when it came to setting up this site, I wanted to apply some of this knowledge and implement a link to my Google+ account to help my Google author rank and add some microdata while I’m at it. So I took a look at Ruth’s Google+ Authorship Plugin, but I’m a bit of a cheapskate and didn’t want to for out the £20 for this plugin, as I thought that was a bit too expensive. I noticed that this plugin was originally based on an adaptation of a plugin from DeConf, which is a free plugin, so I thought I’d take a look at that. Unfortunately this plugin didn’t actually work on Joomla 3 ( I got a bunch of errors), and when I took a look at the source code it was only adding the like to the Google author profile, it wasn’t actually adding the mircodata too. The other thing I didn’t like about this plugin was that it is a system plugin using onContentAfterDisplay and onAfterRender events, I thought that a content plugin using onContentPrepare would be more appropriate.

So I thought I give it a crack myself and write my own plugin. It was surprisingly simple to implement, so I thought I’d share so other people can benefit from this too. There will be a download link at the bottom of this article, but I thought I should explain a couple of things first.

So for my first post, I thought I'd share some podcasts that I've been listening to lately.